
We didn’t get to stay at the Ronald McDonald house.. So onto the internet we went to get reservations for a room we again used priceline but had to pay $70.00 for the same motel we had last week for $55.00…
Our Motel

We got to our room about 5 pm then went and found exactly where we needed to go in the morning ..We have been up to OHSU quite a few times with Mindi and as a matter of fact that’s where Randy had his vasectomy reversal done…(Rylans doctor and Randys Vasectomy doctor are partners how’s that for a coincidence. Last week Rylans doctor told us that Randys doctor practiced doing reversals by sewing cigarette papers together without tearing them back in the 70’s LOL)

Then we ordered up some Chevys Mexican food, picked it up and ate at the motel, played with Rylan then off to bed about 9:30 …I place two wake up calls one for 12pm so I could feed Rylan and another for 3:45 am I planned those times because I didn’t want Rylan waking up wanting to eat at 2 or something and then not want to eat much at 4 am (he couldn’t eat after 4:30 am…..It worked perfect..
I kept Rylan awake after he ate because I knew if I put him back to bed he would want to eat soon As I woke him up..We left the motel about 6:30 am and arrived at the hospital at about 7:30 to get checked in…

We seen Rylans doctor in the hall and asked him on a scale of 1-10 how important is this to have done he said it was about a 7 …Randy and I decided to go ahead and have it done …We don’t want Rylan to go through what he did when he had his kidney infection ever again, although this doesn’t guarantee no kidney infections its supposed to reduce the risk quite a bit…I also thought maybe we could just wait and see if Rylan is infection free without it but the thought of him getting sick and having it done when he is older didn’t sound to appealing either…
Rylan went in for his sugary at about 8:30 am me and Randy went down to get some breakfast while we were sitting there eating it was about 9am and here comes the nurse that was going into surgery with Rylan….. Randy and I didn’t know what to think but our hearts stopped for a minute till she was able to tell us that we didn’t sign on of the papers (A consent for sugary)we needed too and they didn’t want to start with out it…. I don’t blame them after me and Randy having all out doubts about the circ. and questions for the doctor …Whew……….We signed she left and then we finished our breakfast and walked around the hospital for about a hour we had a pager the doc said it would take about 1 ½ hr it was scheduled for 2 hours but he didn’t think he would need that long…
We took the stroller with us, at first we had the covers open and people we looking at us kinda funny ..
So we closed it up while we walked around people would go ohhhhh when they seen the stroller and it felt like we were playing a joke on everyone… Heck I almost leaned down to talk to Rylan a couple of times, it’s the longest I have ever been away from him except for my on a trip to wal-mart while he was asleep and Randy was with him …..
Rylan came out of the surgery about 10:30 Doctor said he did very well and when he looked inside Rylans bladder everything looked good his bladder is smooth on the inside just like its supposed to be and that ureters look like the come into his bladder in the right place so he will probably be a good candidate for the procedure called deflux It the one where they put polymers in his ureters to keep the urine from going back up…he even gave us a picture of the ureters and the inside of Rylans bladder will scan them and put them up later……

Finally we were able to go into see Rylan about 15 minutes later My poor baby was still out of it and doing that nnnnn…..nnnnnnn…..nnnnnn…,.. sound My poor baby he had a iv in his hand and a diaper on and blankets covering him …The nurse showed us his pee pee and my heart was so sad for Rylan he has about 10 stitches …they are the kind that dissolve so we won’t have to put him through getting them taken out at least…. The one nice thing is that they put him to sleep using the gas mask so he didn’t have to feel them doing the IV… They had to try in a few different places at least twice in the foot that we could see and the one poke that worked in his hand …The nurses said the its harder to get blood or do IV’s in healthy babies because they are soo chubby.. …..They also said how much like the Gerber baby he looked and they loved his name that he was the first baby with the name Rylan they had seen….
..We told him we were there and talked to him for a while before I had the nurse help me pick him up …It so scary picking him up he was floppy and making that sound but we managed …

The nurses said he would have to be nursing well and peeing before we could leave ….We asked how long it usually takes babies to pee and they said it could take 4 to 5 hours Oh dear. We really didn’t think it would take Rylan that long ……
I decide to feed him and get him full so he could pee, I was surprised that he was ready to eat and did so well I knew he would be hungry but he just looked so out of it….We were still waiting for him to pee at 3:00pm We were worried and starting to get desperate we had already been up since 3:45 am and had a 5 hr trip back home to drive in a van with crappy headlights …
Why hadn’t he peed….

We tried laying him in his bed thinking maybe since we were holding him he couldn’t concentrate on peeing ..Then we tried putting on him coming home outfit then we tried putting his feet in warm water then nothing was working ..Rylan was getting puffy from all the IV fluids and the nurse took it out….Then Randy remembered the old radiologist trick that Dr Hudson had told him about … It involved pouring warm water on Rylans bladder..(( the nurse called the doc to make sure we could try it )) and we tried at first nothing was happening so the nurse massaged his bladder while pouring the water and about 5 minutes later waa…laa… Pee Pee ……..That was at 4:30 pm and we out of there and on the road by 4:45pm …..
Rylan slept the whole way home..They had also given him something called a coddle block it’s a shot in the base of his spine to numb things kinda like a epidural I am so glad he had that I felt bad having to strap him into his car seat…We arrived home about 10pm, fed Rylan, unpacked the van and got to bed about midnight..Rylan has been nursing more often and is doing really well..He has Tylenol with codeine for the pain and he hates it. I have to just give him a few drops at a time or his will spit it out …Even doing just a few drops at a time he still manages to save some up to spit out ….
All in all it wasn’t to bad and I am just glad to be home and that its over and we don’t have to worry about it …His next thing he will get done is a renal ultrasound in 4 months and then another VCUG in a year then the Dr. will decide what procedure Rylan will get ..There is also a 20% chance that he could outgrow it and not need any procedures ..So for now we are done and hopefully he not not get anymore kidney infections…… Oh yea he will still need to be on his septra antibiotics till his reflux has been fixed or he outgrows it ……..




2 comments:
He is so beautiful!!! It breaks my heart to see him in a hospital!! :( I want to see him healthy and smiling with Mickey ears! :D
I know it broke my heart tooo...We will be smiling with Mickey soon ...WhoooHooo......
Post a Comment